This Week in Strange Music

The Fine Print: I like strange music, but it has to be musical. That is, I'm not interested in stuff that's a bunch of blips or bleeps or straight-up noise. I am, however,  interested in off-beat or different-sounding tunes, and at the very least, they have to have something "musical" about them, such as a rhythm, a beat, a melody ... something a listener can sink his or her teeth into. 

And hey, since I'm defining things, I might as well explain what I mean by "strange." When I say strange, I mean stuff the normies don't (or even won't) listen to. I mean stuff in a galaxy far, far away from the Hot 100. I mean stuff that would give Taylor Swift and Noah Khan nightmares. I'm talking about stuff that makes people say, "What the fuck is this?" when they hear it. In fact, if I out something on and someone doesn't wrinkle his or her nose in puzzlement, then it ain't worth listening to!

So, if you're willing to stray far from the safe space of today's Top-40, and willing to give some off-beat jams a try, you can rest assured that when you follow the links below, what you'll hear is indeed music(al). Now, turn that sound on and let's go!

_____________________________

 

1.) Song: "Peanut Butter Rock and Roll"
Artist: Hasil Adkins

I first learn of Hasil Adkins from the zine, Go Cat Go, by a fellow named Fishpit. Adkins is known as the wildman of rockabilly, and now that I've listened to him a bit, I can see why. Man, oh, man, have I been sleeping on this dude! I should have known he was the real deal when I realized The Cramps were fans of his (they do a cover of the Adkins tune, "She Said."). Anyway, the song I've provided a link to here is a ferocious one-man jam full of hootin' and hollerin' and hot guitar licks. One listen, and you'll understand where the "wild man" moniker comes from. Dig it. 

"Peanut Butter Rock and Roll" - Hasil Adkins

 

2.) Song: "Dead Man's Stroll"
Artist: The Revels 

Speaking of The Cramps, I was poking around Internet Archive the other day and I came across an album, "Lux and Ivy's Favorites No. 11." I assume the "Lux and Ivy" mentioned here are Lux Interior and Poison Ivy of The Cramps, and based on the music one can hear on this record, who else could it be. All these songs have early (1950s) rock-and-roll vibe, but this one in particular has a rather creepy, sinister vibe. But hey, don't take my word for it. The website Way Back Attack, puts it this way:

The Walking Dead. That's one way, at least, to describe someone who's doing the Dead Man's Stroll! In 1959, The Revels recorded a song describing one of the most macabre musical scenes ever, starting with the toll of a tower bell, followed by an accidental discovery: 'Just got off from work, it was awful late, I had to pass the cemetery gate...I never thought I could see such a sight, a poor soul doing the dead man's stroll.' Wow! 1950s rhythm and blues meets Boris Karloff's 1936 film The Walking Dead, resulting in the deliriously great "Dead Man's Stroll." 

If that doesn't make you want to listen to this jam, I don't know what will. Check it. 

"Dead Man's Stroll" - The Revels 

Note: This album has 32 songs on it! I haven't sampled them all, but if you dig this, there's bound to be something else you're into on this record. 

 

3.) Song: "Generation"
Artist: The Jelly Bean Bandits

Shortly after stumbling across "Lux and Ivy's Favorites No. 11," I found my way to "Mind Blowers Volume 1: Psychedelic Passages, another compilation of ... well, I'll just let the internet tell you:

This limited edition CD of the rare US Psychedelic Compilation MIND BLOWERS Volume 1 - Mind Expanded Edition (Dr Dream Ltd.13-2003) is the excellent compilation of the rarest of US 60's psychedelic bands originally released on vinyl in a limited edition in 1983. Featuring 13 of the 14 original LP tracks, this issue has been expanded with an additional 17 tracks of the rarest 45's of US garage/psychedelic bands of the 60's. 

Hot damn, there is so much cool stuff on this album I don't know where to begin. Somehow, I landed on the song "Generation" by the Jelly Bean Bandits. According to Spotify, the JBBs were :

Newburgh, New York psych-punks [that] formed in 1966. Singer Billy Donald, guitarist Jack Dougherty, bassist Fred Buck, keyboardist Michael "Mr. Addams" Raab, and drummer Joe "Laredo London" Scalfari originally operated as "the Mirror", regularly packing area nightspots like the local Trade Winds, Poughkeepsie's Buccaneer Nightclub, and Burlington, Vermont's Red Dog. In due time, they recorded a three-song demo reel that resulted in a three-album recording contract with Mainstream Records -- however, unknown to Mainstream, these three songs represented the sum total of the Jelly Bean Bandits' repertoire, forcing the band to write enough additional material to flesh out a full-length LP in the course of a week. Amazingly, their eponymous 1967 debut is excellent, a freakbeat cult classic distinguished by Dougherty's emotive guitar and some innovative production techniques -- all the more impressive, the album was recorded in a single 12-hour stretch. Mainstream hated the end result, however, and dropped the Jelly Bean Bandits just as they were commencing work on the follow-up -- only one song, "Salesman," was completed before the sessions were aborted. The group dissolved soon after, only to reunite in 1998 to finally commit to tape the songs that were written for their never-completed sophomore LP -- only Donald declined to participate in the project, released in 2001 under the title Time and Again. A vintage live date captured at the Buccaneer on September 3, 1967 was issued on CD the following year. 

I'll take Spotify's word for it, as I have no means of checking the veracity of these statements. Then again, maybe I'm just too lazy. Either way, do yourself a favor and check out this track (and some of the others) on the Mind Blowers record. 

"Generation" - The Jelly Bean Bandits

_____________________________
 

 This Week in Strange Music - Episode 3

1.) Song: "Walk Without Me"
Artist: Scattered Limbs

I know, Scattered Limbs might sound like the name of a death metal band (and guess what, there IS a death metal band from Australia named Scattered Limbs), but the Scattered Limbs I'm talking about here is a garage rock band from York, Pennsylvania. Truth be told, I don't know how much of a "band" they were -- this song, which I came into contact with courtesy of the 1980s garage rock compilation record The Deadly Spawn*, is the only recording of theirs that I can find. (And there's some text on the backside of the album cover that suggests the band only played once.) Nevertheless, this song rips, as does this entire record. Lucky for you, the link I provide below is to a YouTube copy of the entire album, so you can check out the other tracks on it. Dig it:

"Walk Without Me" - Scattered Limbs

Note: this song starts at 32:30

Other notable songs:

The Velvet Monkeys "Rock Party" (first song)
The Creeping Pumpkins "Better Off Without You"  (begins at 09:01) 
 

2.) Song: "Circuit Breaker"
Artist: The Pastels

I'm not gonna lie: after hearing the stuff on The Deadly Spawn, I decided I'm really into garage rock and proto-punk, and so I've been spending some time here and there looking for more of it. That was how I came across the record Gone Garagin' Vol. X, a compilation of "60's garage rock and roll." Truth be told, the bands on this record aren't as cool or weird as the bands on The Deadly Spawn (that's right, I'm going to see how many times I can mention that record in a single post ... I love it that much!). A lot of the bands on this record have a sort of "Monkees" vibe (but then again, it was the 60s). Still, there are some notable tracks on this LP. That brings me to "Circuit Breaker" by The Pastels. I don't know much about this band, either, but I when I listen to this jam, I can really hear the proto-punkness, which helps explain the existence of the punk bands born in the 70s. Maybe you can too. Once again, the following link is to the entire album. (Circuit Breaker is the first song.)

"Circuit Breaker" - The Pastels  

Other notable track:
Don't Blow Your Mind - The Spiders (Begins at 20:43)

3.) Song: "Real Cool" (Instrumental)
Artist: Ted Russell and His Rhythm Rockers

I am not sure whether this song qualifies as garage rock (I don't think it does), and it's not really all that "strange," but hot damn, if this isn't a cool, old tune that no one you know has heard. My wife thinks it sounds like Jerry Lee Lewis. I hear that too, but there's something about this song, perhaps the reverb/delay effect on the guitar, that gives it a slightly dangerous, slippery feel. In fact, when I listen to stuff like this, bands like The Cramps (one of my all time favorites) suddenly make a lot more sense. This song also makes me think of the party scenes in those movies from the 50s and/or 60s about teenagers who go nuts and then die while drag racing along Deadman's Curve. (You know what I'm talking about.)

And hey, here's something cool: I found out about this 45 from my friend Steve, and Steve knew about it because his dad played drums on it -- when his dad was just 14 years-old! (According to Steve, the other guys who played on this recording were much older.) How cool is that? Anyway, check this jam out. You'll be glad you did.   

"Real Cool" - Ted Russell & His Rhythm Rockers 

PS.) On the other side of this 45 is a song called, "Brang," which you Apple music subscribers can listen to here.  Personally, I think Brang is the better tune, but for some reason, most of the Internet puts its money on "Real Cool." (Probably because "Real Cool" is on side one).

PSS.) But wait, there's more! The "Ted Russell" of  Ted Russell & His Rhythm Rockers (real name: Duane Theodore DeSanto) also went by the name Wade Curtiss, and according to the website Last.FM, ol' Wade:

"... personified the D.I.Y. spirit of the music better than most who came in his wake. Spending his entire life in a wheelchair with his hands and arms severely deformed, Curtiss taught himself to play rock & roll on a converted steel guitar and formed his first band, the Rhythm Rockers, in the late '50s.... And in one of the stranger turns in rock & roll history, Wade took his show business acumen and reinvented himself as Dr. Master Curtiss, an "evil" wrestling manager. Wreaking havoc on his opponents in his motorized wheelchair."**

Punk fuckin' rock! 

Alright,  that's it for this installment, babies. Until next time, stay strange and don't let the bastards grind you down.

Notes:

* The story of how The Deadly Spawn came into my possession is worth noting, as it's a tale of commitment, drive, and the power of the Internet. Here's the story: On December 2, 2023, while visiting Buffalo, New York, I went into a record store with my brother and I saw the album. I should have purchased it. I wanted to purchase it, but I let it go and instantly regretted it. Later, in 2025, I went back to the same store and asked the proprietor about the record. He didn't know what I was talking about, and by the look on his face, thought I was a little nuts. I was out of luck ... or was I? 

Several months later (now in 2026), while scrolling through the image library on my phone, I realized I had taken a photo (see image at right)  of the track listing on back cover of The Deadly Spawn because I was intrigued by some of the band names (e.g., The Creeping Pumpkins, Mutant Drone, etc.) and wanted to look them up. However, by the time I discovered the photo, I had forgotten the name of the record. So, with just this single piece of evidence, I searched and scoured and stalked the wilds of the Internet looking for some connection between the bands mentioned on the album, and the album itself -- an album I didn't know the name of! I recalled what the cover looked like, I just couldn't remember it's title! Sacré bleu

Days later, while doing a deep dive on the band Mutant Droid (which is from Washington, DC), the Discogs website informed me that one of their songs appeared on a compilation called The Deadly Spawn. I clicked on the link and, boom, there it was! I had done it. I was so excited, I texted my brother to tell him the good news. He did not care, but so what, I was thrilled with my sleuthing abilities. But knowing the name of the record was just the first step. I now had to get it. Enter my own (not-so-deadly) spawn. Father's Day was just around the corner and I unabashedly informed my eldest daughter that I'd really, really, really like the record as a Father's Day gift. (It wasn't even that expensive.) She came through and the rest, as they say, is history.   

** My friend Steve thinks the good people at Last.FM maybe confusing this Wade Curtiss person with someone else. For example, Last.FM says Curtiss was from Indiana, and Steve says (based on information he got from his dad), that the leader of Ted Russell was from the Buffalo, NY-area.

 
____________________________
 

 This Week in Strange Music - Episode 2

1.) Song: "Schwarz (Cabo de Gata Mix)"
Artist: Gruftschlampen


As I mentioned last time, I search for this so-called "strange music" by going to online destinations like Archive.org and searching with terms like "strange music," "weird music," and "bizarre music." Well, it was during one of those searches that I discovered the music of Gruftschlampen, a Dark Punk / New Wave band from Berlin, Germany. I'm not sure what to say about it other than this recording is from 2013 and that I find some of the band's music rather captivating. To see what I mean, check out the "Cabo de Gata Mix" of the song "Schwarz." It's intense, no? (I also like the track "Predigit.") I suppose I should also say that if you aren't familiar with Dark Punk / New Wave (or Darkwave?), it's kinda like angry techno with a healthy dose of eerie synth sounds. I feel like I should also say that the vocals/lyrics are in German, so I don't know what the band is saying or singing about, so I hope they're not saying something stupid. Dig it.

"Schwarz (Cabo de Gata Mix)" - By Gruftschlampen

2.) Song: "Terri Cockring"
Artist: Wred Fright

Are you ready to get weird? If you answered yes, you'll be happy to know that zinester and one man band Wred Fright is back with a new album, Old New Battered Blue, offering 14 tracks of digital chaos with names like "The President Shit His Pants," "Vagina Dentata," "Republican Cereal," and "Dance Part at the End of the World." If there is a dance party at the end of the world, the organizers should seriously consider playing this album. It'd be perfect. To me, it sounds like the members of The Ramones, Flipper, and The Cramps got together and played each other's instruments. A few weeks ago, Wred released a single from the album, "Terri Cockring" (linked here), which you're already aware of if you're on Wred's mailing list. If you're not, well then aren't you glad you're reading this? Anyway Terri C. might be the single, but my personal favorites are "Crossing guards Often Have A Thing For Me" and "Orange Marmalade." What are yours?

"Terri Cockring" - By Wred Fright


3) Sleep Live at Third Man Records

I am a day late and a dollar short to most things, and in this case, I'm (nearly) six years late. Nevertheless, since I just learned of this, I thought you might not know about it either. On July 9, 2020, the stoner metal masters Sleep played at Third Man Records, which I guess is their record label now? Anyhoo, it looks like it was a fine show. It was so fine, in fact, that Third Man cut up the recording of the show and decided to sell it as a four record set. (Sometimes, when the wind is just right, you can hear Third Man squeezing the money from metalheads' chain wallets!) How do I know? Well, I can read ... but I also bought one of the records while perusing the wares at a record store in Buffalo, New York last week. Go ahead, Third Man Records, take my money!

Anyway, if you're a Sleep fan, or you want to become a Sleep fan, or you like stoner metal, you can listen to the entire performance on Youtube, where you can stare at a picture (presumably) from the show. If you're high enough, maybe the people in the photo will move.

Well, that's it for this installment. Until next time, stay strange my babies ....

_____________________________

This Week in Strange Music - Episode 1

1) Song: "Strange Music"
Artist: LoFi Theory


The other day, I saw a guy in Wegmans talking to the cheesecake. I'm not sure this is a bad thing. I mean, cheesecake is pretty good. Granted, I don't eat it anymore, but I've had it, and I remember it being pretty tasty. I also know that cheesecake is one of those desserts that women sometimes swoon over after it arrives on the table at a restaurant. You hear them make sounds kind of like the noises people make when they watch fireworks explode. They'll put a forkful in their mouths, their eyes will get big, and they'll say, "Oooooo." I bet some guys do this, too, but only in the comfort and security of their own homes. I don't think the guy who was talking to the cheesecakes in Wegmans does this. No. He has a different relationship with cheesecake. In fact, I imagine that when he's eating cheesecake, or maybe even around cheesecake, there's a loungey, slightly bluesy, slightly jazzy instrumental tune in his head that sounds pretty close to this track. Check it out.

"Strange Music" - By LoFi Theory

2) Song: "Everything's Hunky Dory"
Artist: MRVN Music


The chill bites my face as I walk along the street, trying not to step in the greasy stains left by the garbage truck. The dogs’ disinterest in them is a pleasant surprise, as is my upbeat attitude. At this hour, I’m usually too busy shaking off the indignities of the workday to delight in the wonders around me. But today, my employee angst is no match for the erupting spring, with its optimistic yellows, hopeful greens, and promising blues. Yes, I know that life is a gift, but at this moment, I actually believe it. You might feel something similar when listening to this song. There's something bright and hopeful about it, and if you give it a chance, it'll make you feel alright. 

"Everything's Hunky Dory" - By MRVN Music

3.) Song: "Strange Spirit - 2AM"
Artist: Strange Spirit


Every day, I hit the same streets, see the same sights, and hear the same sounds. Usually, it's enough to rev my brain enough to generate an idea or thought I can use as the foundation for a paragraph or two that explains what I’m feeling; what I’m experiencing at a precise moment. But not today. Today, nothing came to the fore. No ideas formed in my brain, so I had nothing to go on; nothing to work with. I was annoyed, but I got over it. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my time on this planet, it’s that you can’t force it. Some things operate on their own schedule and show up when they’re ready, no matter how demanding or insistent you might be. This song is like that. Something's brewing here, but it ends before it reaches its crescendo; before it fully arrives. That's okay. There's a seed here. There's something to work with, but one must remember: it will bloom on its own time. 

"Strange Spirit - 2AM" - Strange Spirit

Until next time, babies, stay strange ....


No comments:

Post a Comment