Thursday, January 2, 2025

This Week in Strange Music - Episode 2

This Week in Strange Music - Episode 2

1.) Song: "Schwarz (Cabo de Gata Mix)"
Artist: Gruftschlampen


As I mentioned last time, I search for this so-called "strange music" by going to online destinations like Archive.org and searching with terms like "strange music," "weird music," and "bizarre music." Well, it was during one of those searches that I discovered the music of Gruftschlampen, a Dark Punk / New Wave band from Berlin, Germany. I'm not sure what to say about it other than this recording is from 2013 and that I find some of the band's music rather captivating. To see what I mean, check out the "Cabo de Gata Mix" of the song "Schwarz." It's intense, no? (I also like the track "Predigit.") I suppose I should also say that if you aren't familiar with Dark Punk / New Wave (or Darkwave?), it's kinda like angry techno with a healthy dose of eerie synth sounds. I feel like I should also say that the vocals/lyrics are in German, so I don't know what the band is saying or singing about, so I hope they're not saying something stupid. Dig it.

"Schwarz (Cabo de Gata Mix)" - By Gruftschlampen

2.) Song: "Terri Cockring"
Artist: Wred Fright

Are you ready to get weird? If you answered yes, you'll be happy to know that zinester and one man band Wred Fright is back with a new album, Old New Battered Blue, offering 14 tracks of digital chaos with names like "The President Shit His Pants," "Vagina Dentata," "Republican Cereal," and "Dance Part at the End of the World." If there is a dance party at the end of the world, the organizers should seriously consider playing this album. It'd be perfect. To me, it sounds like the members of The Ramones, Flipper, and The Cramps got together and played each other's instruments. A few weeks ago, Wred released a single from the album, "Terri Cockring" (linked here), which you're already aware of if you're on Wred's mailing list. If you're not, well then aren't you glad you're reading this? Anyway Terri C. might be the single, but my personal favorites are "Crossing guards Often Have A Thing For Me" and "Orange Marmalade." What are yours?

"Terri Cockring" - By Wred Fright


3) Sleep Live at Third Man Records

I am a day late and a dollar short to most things, and in this case, I'm (nearly) six years late. Nevertheless, since I just learned of this, I thought you might not know about it either. On July 9, 2020, the stoner metal masters Sleep played at Third Man Records, which I guess is their record label now? Anyhoo, it looks like it was a fine show. It was so fine, in fact, that Third Man cut up the recording of the show and decided to sell it as a four record set. (Sometimes, when the wind is just right, you can hear Third Man squeezing the money from metalheads' chain wallets!) How do I know? Well, I can read ... but I also bought one of the records while perusing the wares at a record store in Buffalo, New York last week. Go ahead, Third Man Records, take my money!

Anyway, if you're a Sleep fan, or you want to become a Sleep fan, or you like stoner metal, you can listen to the entire performance on Youtube, where you can stare at a picture (presumably) from the show. If you're high enough, maybe the people in the photo will move.

Well, that's it for this installment. Until next time, stay strange my babies ....

No comments:

Post a Comment