This Week in Strange Music - Episode 5
1.) Song: "Curse my Metal Body"
Artist: Garbage Masher
So, apparently there's a whole genre of alt-rock that mixes in music (or music that sounds like it's from) video games. Sometimes it's referred to as "dungeonsynth," but I don't think that's an accurate descriptor of the music made by the two fellows who go by the name Garbage Masher. To be honest, Garbage Masher is the only band I'm aware of that plays this kind of music, but if all the bands in this genre play stuff like this, then I've got some catching up to do. I learned of Garbage Masher when my band, Unring the Bell (which plays neither "strange music" nor dungeonsynth), played with these guys a few years back. Since then, we have played with them a bunch of times. They're wonderful fellows and they make some incredible music that's rockin', that has a groove, and that's definitely out there enough to classify as "weird." It's also all instrumental.
Late last year, Garbage Masher released a full-length album called "A Perilous Quest," and this is my favorite track from that release. But really, you can go wrong with any of their jams. Check it out.
"Curse My Metal Body" - Garbage Masher
2.) Song: "Northwoods (1985)"
Artist: Future Mantis
As you may already be aware, from late last year until early this year (2026), I had an internet radio station called Creative Incite Radio. It was fun, but it was a lot of work, and much of that work involved scouring the internet for music I thought was cool from bands that would be cool with me playing it (I asked their permission, of course). It took a lot of time and it wasn't always well spent. There were moments, however, when I came across something so cool and interesting the hours of searching seemed worth it.
This jam from Richmond, Virginia's Future Mantis is one of those songs. I simply cannot express how good this song is, so you'll just have to experience it for yourself. Everything about it is cool, from the lyrics and the delivery, to the bass and the main riff ... hot damn, this mutha slaps. Dig it.
"Northwoods (1985)" - Future Mantis
3.) "Emissions Inspection Notice"
Artist: Willcox Garage
As an introvert, I am generally uncomfortable with self promotion. However, there comes a time when you just need to get over yourself and do the thing, so I'm going to take my advice and promote some strange music that I created. Slowly but surely, I'm building a catalog of unique and admittedly strange-sounding jams that I'm one day going to perform in front of others. Until then, you'll just have to settle for the recordings I make here at home. The aim of this song, and indeed everything I do under the banner of Willcox Garage, is an attempt to mix the sweet sounds of the guitar with strange, unsettling, or just plain weird noises, which from my perspective, is a metaphor for life itself. So, given that little preamble, please enjoy this new track.
"Emissions Inspection Notice" - Willcox Garage
4.) KBD Live at FEED TOO
Artist: KBD
At the top of this page, I made the bold claim that the strange music I feature on this page "has to be musical." Well, you know what they say, "Rules were made to be broken" ... or "There's an exception to every rule" ... pick your platitude. The point is, I'm going to break my own rule and set you up with a YouTube video of a KBD performance from 2015. Who or what is KBD you ask? KBD is a trio of musicians who've been performing "long-form improvised sound using electroacoustic instrumentation" for the past 20 (!) years. Their performances are "experimental by nature and design," and they invite listeners to engage in "deep and active listening." Not sure what that means? You will be if you press go on this video. I find KBD to be the most "experimental" of the acts (I've seen) in the experimental scene. I confess I don't really understand what exactly they're doing (i.e., what their approach is) when they perform, but somehow, someway, they always manage to produce something way beyond than sum of its parts, and that's why they're worth your time.
I'm not gonna lie: for most folks, this will be a challenging listen, but not because it's atonal or full of noises that are tough to listen to. KBD is quite the opposite. Rather, some folks may find it challenging to listen to because KBD's "music" is so far beyond the typical song format, that listeners eager for that verse, chorus, verse thing may find their minds start to wander. Resist. Give KBD a chance, quiet your mind, maybe even close your eyes, and just listen. So with that, I invite you to grab your favorite beverage, turn the lights down low, put the kids to bed, toss your phone on the roof, and surrender yourself to the strange, intriguing sounds of KDB.
Live at FEED TOO (Erie, Pennsylvania) - KBD
Until next time, babies ... stay strange!



No comments:
Post a Comment